Tuesday, November 14, 2006

I Like Her Style!: Crystal McCrary Anthony

Crystal McCrary Anthony at a recent photo shoot for "O" Magazine (Dress by Peter Soronen).
Crystal with her 4-year-old daughter Ella.

I first heard of Crystal McCrary Anthony when she was promoting “Gotham Diaries”, the book she co-authored with Spike Lee’s wife, Tonya Lewis Lee. Her beauty struck me immediately. The 36-year-old mother of two (6-year-old Cole and 4-year-old Ella) is an attorney by trade, but now enjoys the life of an author and produces films on the side. The independent movie “Dirty Laundry,” which she executive produced, has received rave reviews and won best feature and best actor at the American Black Film Festival earlier this year. You can catch Ms. Anthony on BET J’s “My Two Cents” talking about topics ranging from current events to social issues in the black community. You can also visit her personal site @ www.crystalmccraryanthony.com. Below is a recent article on Crystal's style from “O” Magazine and as if fate would have it, I spotted her on The Sartorialist's site hailing a cab! It’s easy to see why I Like Her Style!…

Staples: Dresses - "they allow a woman to be a woman," says Crystal. She'd wear this sheath to look like "a classy, sexy mom" while picking up her children from school. "The cleavage isn't vulgar; it works."

Shoes: "Stilettos. When I put them on, I'm six feet tall. I love looking men in the eye."

Never, ever: Miniskirts. "I sound like somebody's mother - well, I am somebody's mother - I think they cheapen you. There's a line between sexy and tarty."

Style Roots: "I'm from Detroit, not exactly the fashion epicenter, and I went through some baaad stages. Then I moved to New York and started studying window displays on Madison Avenue. That trained my eye."

Shopping Rules: "I go with a mission and rarely buy on impulse."

Words To Live By: "Even if something fits perfectly, you can't pull it off if it doesn't represent your essence. I don't try to go outside myself. I'm just not that woman who can wear an ostrich-feather dress!"

Note: See I Like Her Style!: Janelle Monae and Zadie Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...