Friday, June 1, 2007

YSL Doesn’t Care About Black People!

Past Models of Yves Saint Laurent: Mimi Roche (Spring 2007 rtw), Sasha Gaye-Hunt (Fall 2007 rtw) and Marie Fuema (Spring 2006 rtw).

Tianna of ConcreteLoop.com sent me an article by The Washington Post titled “Back in Fashion.” It’s a profile on YSL’s creative director Stefano Pilati. So I’m reading it with marginal interest until I came across the following few passages:

Pilati reflected the spirit of the house in his choice of models for the fall show. Saint Laurent was known for celebrating black models and in a season when they were especially absent on the runways, Pilati, at least, had one.

"In the '70s, to have black models in Paris and Europe was sort of a message of having an open mind," Pilati says. "We were definitely less used to races crossing lines. It was definitely something coming from America."

Saint Laurent "was very sensitive to that. It was helping to add exoticism to the collection and to embrace the multicultural aspect of the work."

Why aren't there more black models working today? "To me, it is a matter of proportions and the bodies I choose. My fit model was a black model," he says. "When I wanted to translate what I put on her, it was a disaster. It would need 13 times more work in the atelier to modify it to put on a more Caucasian anatomy.

"Sometimes, it's not your choice. You can't find [black models] that are beautiful and with the right proportions. I prefer them with lean proportions with no big hips."

Big hips? A dearth of beautiful black models? This from the designer who characterizes himself as the best salesman for his clothes.

Okay let’s hold-up, wait-a-minute, and rewind. “You can't find [black models] that are beautiful and with the right proportions.” If by beautiful you mean wafer thin, with their ribs sticking out and their knees knobbling from lack of food consumption, then I’m not surprised you couldn’t find “beautiful black models.” Who does he think he is? And in any case, the many black models I see walking the runways are smaller than the average sista I know. How much altering did the fit model's clothes really need? And I’m guessing Mr. Pilati isn’t in the least bit interested in appealing to the ever-increasing market of highly paid, powerful and professional black women around the world. He really needs to open his eyes and take note of the fact that women come in all shapes and sizes. I can’t imagine why he would think no hips are better than hips… THAT IS WHAT MAKES US FEMALE!!!! What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...