Thursday, August 13, 2009

Good Hair... The issue becomes public.


Trailer for Chris Rock's new docu-movie "Good Hair."
Yaya De Costa, Terri Seymour and Beyonce display some of the varying hair textures and styles in the black community.

Behind the scenes of the "Good Hair" movie poster photo shoot.

I cannot express how excited I am to see Chris Rock's new docu-movie "Good Hair" (out this October). This is long overdue... like 200 years! When I first saw the trailer I was unsure about how this was going to pan out. Will the movie really explore the hair issues in our community or will it be nothing more than a superficial mockery that just scratches the surface? I watched the trailer several times and concluded that Chris Rock is just trying to add some humor to a somewhat sensitive subject. I am confident the movie will be equally entertaining and informative.

That said, are we as black women ready to face the questions that will undoubtedly come from those outside our race. Movie critics at the Sundance Film Festival, where the movie won an award, lamented on how they had "no idea" that black women went through so much to "look good." I personally do not want nosy commuters asking me if my hair is a weave on the rush hour train to work! Either way, this will undoubtedly be a milestone in our history. The movie has a lot of money behind it and will me watched by millions. I just hope it lives up to the hype. I equally hope Chris Rock interviews some natural sistas in an effort to dispel the myth that natural hair is hard to maintain. Visit http://www.goodhairmovie.net/ for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...